[gambit-list] Thanks and Thoughts For "Scheme on Skis" :)

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 08:58:43 EDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Guillaume Cartier <gcartier at jazzscheme.org> wrote:

> On 11/2/07, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) <hkBst at gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > How incompatible are Gambit and Bigloo? Is there any chance of porting
> > Hop to
> > Gambit?
>

> At the MSLUG meeting organized during the OOPSLA 2007 I asked Manuel
> Serano that exact same question and the answer was :
>
> "Don't even think about it! There are alot of bigloo specific stuff in
> Hop"
>
> I find it hard to believe any Scheme code could be that hard to port to
> Gambit but that was his answer.

I can attest to the likely truthfulness of the answer as well. I started
programming in Scheme with Bigloo because it was fast and the C FFI was
*really easy*. And the Bigloo system has a lot of nice extensions (both
functional ones and DSLs), but the downside of that is that you have to
discipline yourself not to use them if you want to write portable code. When
I had to start porting my code between Bigloo, Larceny, Gambit, and Stalin
in search of the best performance I found that untangling my Bigloo
dependencies was harder than it looked. I can only imagine how dependent
software developed by the Bigloo dev team might be, You could easily end up
just writing a Bigloo->Gambit compiler :)

david rush
--
Once you label me, you negate me
    - Soren Kierkegaard