[gambit-list] Gambit version for medical apps?

Adam adam.mlmb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 22:39:57 EDT 2016

[..]

> > The maintainer could also manage a branch created from a recent
> > version of Gambit.
> I don't think we can do this as we still use 4.7.9 internally and are very
> uncomfortable to go there due to the 1000+ changes you mentioned, most of
> which are unrelated to the C-backend we use. Hence, someone else would need
> to step up for this 4.8.5-based LTS version. I did, however, file an issue
> against it to point out one potential difference I noticed.

Over time someone will do it (weed out bugs in /a/ newer version/-s).

However, maybe it's not the right time to fork off an LTS from a recent
version now - maybe we should wait until SMP is out and matured, so like,
we can do the next LTS fork next summer (July 2017).

Of course ordinary bug-hunting in HEAD is/should be going on as usual.

Isn't it correct to say that the additional central functionality in Gambit
that matured since 4.7.0, is the multilanguage backend, whose perhaps
biggest utility is the JS-output.

(Also the multiple-GVM-in-one-process functionality matured, could be
backported perhaps.)

While supposedly people use this, maybe it's not of such importance that an
LTS is needed for it.

But it is clear that at least one LTS is needed. So landing at one LTS and
that one being 4.7.X is perhaps the optimum thing LTS-wise for the next 12
months, thoughts?