[gambit-list] Performance of different versions of gcc

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Apr 29 12:58:49 EDT 2012

On 2012-04-29, at 12:04 PM, Bradley Lucier wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2012, at 10:42 PM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>
>> To measure the performance of the resulting system, I have executed the gsi interpreter on a moderately complex program (tests/mix.scm).
>

> Marc:
>
> On my mac, the interpreted and compiled times for mix.scm are
>
> 2.430334 secs elapsed cpu time
>
> and
>
> .391602 secs elapsed cpu time
>
> respectively.  I can't help but think that this test measures the speed of a relatively small amount of code in _eval.scm and the trampoline, as this seems to be over 80% of the run time.

Why is the comparison between the interpreted and compiled times leading you to that conclusion?

I agree with the statement in your conclusion, but not with the line of reasoning.

Also, I should have given the usual disclaimers about benchmarks.  Here I am mostly interested in the build time and the speed of the interpreter.  If you are interested in running more meaningfull benchmarks (more meaningfull for you) then please use my script to rerun the whole experiment.