[gambit-list] Performance of different versions of gcc

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Sun Apr 29 13:28:08 EDT 2012

On Apr 29, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> Also, I should have given the usual disclaimers about benchmarks.  Here I am mostly interested in the build time and the speed of the interpreter.  If you are interested in running more meaningfull benchmarks (more meaningfull for you) then please use my script to rerun the whole experiment.

Well, I don't really care about the performance of all past versions of gcc, and as you've demonstrated here it's true that as old code has been replaced by new code, the performance of compiled Gambit code has not increased monotonically.  (I've filed a number of gcc bugs about Gambit performance problems that were eventually closed after a number of years; for some of them, I don't know whether the original cause of the problem or the "fix" were ever identified.)

I think I'll post to the gcc mail list a link to this thread in case it's of interest to people.

Brad