[gambit-list] How to use a module?

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Oct 13 23:11:34 EDT 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 02:03:17 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I just made bootstrap from the 4.6.1 development sources, which I
> downloaded using git.
>
> When I start gsi and, according to the section "Subdivide code into
> modules" in the tour of Scheme in Gambit, I use "use" it tells me
>
> hendrik at notlookedfor:~/dv/lang/gambit/gambit$ gsi/gsi Gambit v4.6.1
>
>> (use ssax-sxml)
> *** ERROR IN (console)@1.2 -- Unbound variable: use 1>
>
> So evidently something is still missing, unconfigured, unbuilt, or
> whatever.  It doesn't even get around to looking for the library --
> which is another question: how does it find the libraries, assuming it
> gets that far.  And if the X module system is itself a module, how do I
> bootstrap it into the system?
>
> Or should I be using an entirely different mechanism?
>
> -- hendrik

Well, I found other items on gmane's archive of this mailing list.  IT
looks as if the answer is that Gambit itself doesn't provide modules at
all, despite the mention in the Tour of Scheme in Gambit.  But it seems
that there exists a completely separate module facility that can be used
with it.  With its own installation instructions.  And by the way, one
should use (import ...) instead of (use ...)

Really, this information shouldn't be that hard to find.

And is there a good reason why so many manuals on the gambit web site are
in pdf, odt, and doc formats and not in the obvious web-friendly html?

I'll report again when I've worked through the BlackHole installation.

-- hendrik