[gambit-list] How to use a module?

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 04:20:32 EDT 2011

2011/10/14 Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>

> Well, I found other items on gmane's archive of this mailing list.  IT
> looks as if the answer is that Gambit itself doesn't provide modules at
> all, despite the mention in the Tour of Scheme in Gambit.  But it seems
> that there exists a completely separate module facility that can be used
> with it.  With its own installation instructions.  And by the way, one
> should use (import ...) instead of (use ...)

Indeed.

Gambit as a Scheme environment is with benefit separated from module
handling functionality, as module systems tend not to be 'universal'
'one-fits-everything' solutions.

A Tour of Scheme in Gambit is intended to give a programmer an introductory
glimpse of practical use of Gambit. In total one short chapter only touches
Black Hole, as to show that you can do modules in Scheme and the benefit of
it. This is one of in total two mentionings of Gambit-external libraries in
the document, the other one being ssax-sxml.

> Really, this information shouldn't be that hard to find.

With the generality of Scheme comes that the amount of possible setups are
infinite.

Thus the strong separation language environment from module system, module
system from libraries.

I understand you may have suggestions for improvement on the documentation
about second or third of these, if so feel free to post these when you have
them.

And is there a good reason why so many manuals on the gambit web site are
> in pdf, odt, and doc formats and not in the obvious web-friendly html?

What's in these formats are the documents "A Tour of Scheme in Gambit" and
the Black Hole documentation, neither of which are Gambit manuals but solely
Gambit-related documents, similar to what's collected on the Dumping
grounds.

Those docs were written in this format since it suited them at least of the
time of writing. The further document is intended for print solely so for it
a format other than html fits.

The latter one could with benefit be switched from odt as source format to
html; you are the first one who asks for this.

I'll report again when I've worked through the BlackHole installation.

In relation with Black Hole, that you already downloaded at
https://github.com/pereckerdal/blackhole , there is a bundle of libraries
that can be used within the (std) module resolver at
https://github.com/pereckerdal/blackhole-libs , also check some updates
posted on this ml the 18:th of may this year.

These are for the master branch. With the syntactictower branch of Black
Hole, a set of SRFI:s are bundled, and this abovementioned bundle of
libraries.

Brgds