[gambit-list] Deadlock when using net/http-client

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Nov 30 18:50:09 EST 2010

On 2010-11-30, at 11:59 AM, Tim Lavoie wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'll start off with a caveat: I'm new to Gambit and add-ons such as
> Black Hole, but have been exploring and having a good time so far.
>
> One of the modules I would like to make use of is net/http-client, so
> that I can use Gambit-C to fetch data from CouchDB. I believe I have
> everything installed OK, but I receive immediate deadlock errors when
> attempting to make a request. (Any request, URL doesn't matter.)
>
> I have appended the request, error and stack dump below; please let me
> know if I'm doing something wrong, or have stumbled onto a bug.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Tim

It is hard for me to analyze this problem with so little information.  Deadlock problems are often hard to debug because they are caused by a combination of factors.

Is this a multithreaded program?  Are you trying to contact the server from the same Scheme thread?  Are the client and the server in the same OS process?

From your backtrace it seems that the current-thread is trying to lock a mutex that is already locked (perhaps by the same thread), and no other thread is currently executable.  Please check your program logic.