[gambit-list] newbie question: Little scheme

Seth Burleigh seth at tewebs.com
Sun Jan 31 12:11:29 EST 2010

Assuming you know nothing about emacs.

Just as an example, heres my .emacs file.

You should create a directory , say C:/emacs/plugins/, under which you have
the following files:

gambit.el (contained with gambit download)

paredit.el   (http://mumble.net/~campbell/emacs/paredit.el)

/icicles/ (just download from

                    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Libraries

                   and get zips or  other direction)

Then go into .emacs file and edit the path to whatever you want (in this
case C:/emacs/plugins/)

Start emacs. Hit Control-x Control-f and type in ~/.emacs

Copy and paste file contents into it, save , and restart. You should be
good! If not, read the error message, change the contents, and now you

Can hit f1 to reevaluate .emacs file buffer.

Now hit f5 and hopefully scheme will start if gsc.exe (or whatever) is in
your environmental path.

Just browse the .emacs file and customize everything to whatever you want. I
would suggest:

(1)Reading the tutorial which is advertised when emacs shows up.

(2)Print out the paredit cheatsheet.

(3)Figuring out keyboard shortcuts  for scheme mode.

(4) Figure out shortcuts for REPL (like C-p, C-n)

(5)Reading about icicles. For example, when you hit M-x (alt-x) you  could
then type something in and hit shift tab and all the possibilities will show
up.

(6) Figure out how to debug gambit in the repl.

Trust me , you'll thank yourself later.

Oh, and the custom-set-variables and the custom-set-faces on top? If you
already have some in your .emacs file, don't delete them.

In fact, you can delete this if you don't want cua-mode, which adds windows
copy and paste key rebinding to emacs.