[gambit-list] newbie question: Little scheme

Alex Shinn alexshinn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 10:06:01 EST 2010

Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:37 PM, James Long <longster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would assume most people use paredit-mode...
>
> Newbies should just use DrScheme,
>
> http://www.plt-scheme.org/
>
> paren-balancing is enable by default... don't have to futz around with
> downloading and installing different modes.
>
> Then again doesn't the built in scheme-mode balance parens?

Not like paredit-mode.  paredit-mode is more of a structural
editor - it guarantees you never have unbalanced parens.  So
typing ( works like the default M-(, typing ) works like M-)
and C-k does a "smart" kill line of sexp's, stopping if it
comes to a ) that balances before the cursor, and eating any
data on trailing data if the line ends in a sexp that spans
multiple lines.

It sounds like a trivial difference, but never having
unbalanced parens in the file is very liberating - I'm
certainly never going back.

--
Alex