[gambit-list] calling scheme from C

James Long longster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:03:50 EDT 2009

> GHC has a neat ghc --make command, which basically does (half of) what
> you are going to do
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/modes.html#make-mode
> Can gambit too, follow dependencies the same way and build too object
> files when it sees a load/include and that the file is there (and that
> no static analysis shows this load is in fact dynamically bound to a
> function that returns the pi-th root of the golden ratio)

I wouldn't want this.  It's common in Gambit for LOAD to be ambiguous,
i.e. if you want your module to be compiled, you compile it; if you
want it to be interpreted, you don't compile it.  I switch between
interpreted/compiled a good bit for individual modules for debugging,
interactivity, quick development, etc.

If Gambit ever adopts a module system, we may have enough information
to rationalize about the modules, and this may be possible.