[gambit-list] gambit + llvm

Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva asandroq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 13:46:05 EDT 2008

Hallo,

Christian Jaeger wrote:
> Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva wrote:
>>      You would need every user to have a development toolchain
>> (compiler, assembler, linker etc.) on every user machine.
>>

> That's a different issue. It's a question of trading a dependency on gcc
> (or another C compiler) for a dependency on llvm.

     The code generator of LLVM is deployed as a library. It's a very
different thing to deploy a library (linked statically or as shared
objecyts) and deploying a complete development environment.

> (And I guess most sizable Scheme/Gambit based projects need a C compiler
> anyway to compile bindings to C libraries; so it would only matter for a
> target audience which *does* program in Scheme but *only* uses
> precompiled binary modules for C bindings.)

     Most Java/Python/Ruby/Lua etc. audience do not create their own FFI
modules.

Cheers,
-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/