[gambit-list] Thanks and Thoughts For "Scheme on Skis" :)

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 05:56:49 EDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Rouan van Dalen <rvdalen at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok, now I have been developing Rich Internet application for a while now
> and love writing web
> applications.  Then I thought it would be great if I can write web
> applications using Scheme :)

Ok so on to the scheme community's new web framework : "Scheme on Skis"
> (thanks Marc).

Anyone that has a component or is working on a component related to web
> applications
> are welcome to contact me.  I welcome the use of already-developed modules
> that can
> simply be used in the web framework.

I am already in the process of developing such a framework in R5RS (+
SRFI-0) Scheme born out of my endless frustration with Ruby on Rails. I
currrently have a DB access framework and page template processing code
working, but I do not have CGI or FastCGI interface modules yet. The only
truly non-portable part that I have in the framework so far is the MySQL
interface code which relies entirely on Larceny's FFI. I also have to say
that I don't expect to be able to write a truly portable FastCGI layer,
either, but I do expect to be able to isolate the dependencies to a very
small code module. I would port this whole thing to Gambit, but I don't have
native executable build capability for Gambit on Windows (which is pretty
much mandatory to use the Gambit FFI, IIRC).

david rush
--
Once you label me, you negate me
    - Soren Kierkegaard