[gambit-list] Thanks and Thoughts For "Scheme on Skis" :)

Dr Nicholas Walton nwalton at mac.com
Fri Nov 2 04:59:17 EDT 2007

from Simply Christian
On 2 Nov 2007, at 08:28, Rouan van Dalen wrote:

> So I found a love for CL and Scheme and I like Scheme just a bit more
> because it's very clean.
> So i started downloading and buying books on Scheme, including:
>
>  o) the little schemer
>  o) the seasoned schemer
>  o) LiSP in Small Pieces (quite a heavy read for me :))
>
> Ok, now I have been developing Rich Internet application for a while
> now and love writing web
> applications.  Then I thought it would be great if I can write web
> applications using Scheme :)
>
> Most of my knowledge is self-taught because I love to read.  There are
> no good CS courses
> here that cover Scheme / CL in great detail, so I am a bit green in
> this area.
>
> Ok, so that intro was a bit longer than expected :)

That's fine, you're on the way to enlightenment :-)

You should find
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/
6-001Spring-2005/CourseHome/index.htm meets your needs for online
courseware. From the site description

> This course features projects and supporting documentation. This
> course has virtually all of its course materials online. 6.001 is the
> first course in the core of departmental subjects which is required
> for all undergraduates in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
> It offers an online version of the textbook for the course, Structure
> and Interpretation of Computer Programs, 2nd ed., by Abelson, Sussman,
> and Sussman.

Dr Nicholas Walton

Skype: 	amateuracademic
Myspace: 	http://www.myspace.com/amateuracademic

Made for spirituality, we wallow in introspection. Made for joy, we
settle for pleasure. Made for justice, we clamour for vengeance. Made
for relationship, we insist on our own way. Made for beauty, we are
satisfied with sentiment. But new creation has already begun. The sun
has begun to rise.

Tom Wright, The Bishop of Durham