[gambit-list] porting to system without tty or standard IO

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat May 28 08:29:53 EDT 2005

On 27-May-05, at 4:35 PM, Scott Graham wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone tried porting Gambit to a system without a tty and/or
> without the low-level file descriptor level? I'm trying to port to an
> embedded system that's quite similar to USE_WIN32 as far as os_*.[ch]
> are concerned, however, it has neither a TTY, nor stdin.
>
> I had a try, and got as far as gsi compiling, but I'm getting an
> exception that I don't understand early on startup.

Can you be more specific... a Scheme exception, a C exception, a signal?
Which one?

It is possible to run Gambit with no stdin/stdout/stderr.  But you have
to avoid referencing them, and if you just start the interpreter in a
way
that will normally start a REPL, the system will raise a Scheme
exception
as soon as it tries to display the banner to the user.

> So, just wondering if anyone has tried this, or has suggestions on
> plan of attack. Ideally, I'd like to have the system work over a
> socket connected to the host PC rather than expecting a variety of
> streams to be available "locally".

There's an example (in examples/web-repl/web-repl.scm) showing how this
can be done.