[gambit-list] 64-bit bignum times

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Tue May 24 17:14:53 EDT 2005

Marc:

I've run my bignum tests on a 2GHz G5 running MacOS 10.4.1 with
Apple's compiler

gcc version 4.0.0 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5018)

from CVS sources, and on a 2.4GHz Opteron running the latest Red Hat
Enterprise Linux with gcc-4.0.0.

On the Mac, Gambit was configured with

env CC='gcc -m64 -mcpu=970  -force_cpusubtype_ALL' ./configure --
enable-single-host

and on the Opteron, it was just

./configure --enable-single-host

but -m64 and -mcpu=whatever are the defaults.

The source and the result files are below.

Basically, cycle for cycle, the Mac beats the Opteron; it's also
available at higher speeds and is cheaper.  A lot of the time is
spent in FFTs for the bignum multiplies, so this is not a bad test
for 64-bit scientific computing capabilities.

Brad

PS:  I Bcc'ed the other people receiving this so their e-mail
addresses won't show up on the public mail list.