[Snow-users-list] Difficulties on Gambit

Joel J. Adamson jadamson at partners.org
Wed Mar 12 10:26:28 EDT 2008

"Matthew Martin" <matt.a.martin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Joel J. Adamson <jadamson at partners.org> wrote:

> That's an old problem... kinda surprised it's still there.

I know there was discussion of it on the list (I checked the archives).
This was in a download of snow-generic from the main download page.  Is
there a VC repository somewhere?

> 2 things.
>
> 1) It's "srfi1", not "srfi-1". However, it should simply reply with
> "Snowfort does not contain package srfi-1."
> Martin at Deimos $ snowman install srfi-1
> Snowfort does not contain package srfi-1.
> (the above is using mzscheme)

Yeah, I get exactly the same message when I try any snowman command.  I
just tried it with those environment variables, and I get the same thing.

> 2) I get the same error you did when I try 'env SNOW_HOST=gambit
> snowman install srfi-1' or 'env SNOW_HOST=gambit snowman install
> srfi1'. gsi is also in my $PATH.
>
> It would seem the immediate solution is to try a different Scheme
> implementation for the time being until someone more knowledgeable
> responds.

I'd love to take your suggestion, but I'm hooked on Gambit ;)

Here's what happens if I try guile:
,----

| /home/joel/lisp/scm/.snow: Zshell> SNOW_HOST=guile snowman install srfi1
| ERROR: In procedure scm_lreadr:
| ERROR: #<unknown port>:5:220: illegal character in escape sequence: #\3
`----

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.