[Snow-users-list] A few questions... and a suggestion.

Matthew Martin matt.a.martin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:24:12 EST 2008

A warning: I'm a noob, to both Scheme and Snow.

First question.

I have a snowball of pregexp[1] just about ready to upload, and I was
wondering what would be appropriate to put as 'license:' ?
Its license states:
-----
Copyright (c) 1999-2005, Dorai Sitaram.
All rights reserved.

Permission to copy, modify, distribute, and use this work or
a modified copy of this work, for any purpose, is hereby
granted, provided that the copy includes this copyright
notice, and in the case of a modified copy, also includes a
notice of modification.  This work is provided as is, with
no warranty of any kind.
-----

I'm not sure how picky license: is. Would (license: bsd/mit-like) be ok?
Something more descriptive?
I'll probably email Dorai  and ask if they'd prefer to maintain it or sign
it as well before I upload the snowball.
Probably be good to ask them what a good description of the license as a
symbol would be too.

OK, next question.

How the heck do I use snow from a REPL o_O

Let's say I have this in an emacs buffer:
-----
(package* test/v1.0.0
  (require: time/v1))

(display (current-time-seconds))
-----

I hit C-c C-l to load and eval it, and it says current-time-seconds is
undefined?
If I instead slap   ":";exec snow -- "$0" "$@" on top and run it as a snow
script
from a command line, it does what I'd expect it to do.  Same results with
MzScheme
and Chicken so far.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why it'd work
one way and not
the other, I assume I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

Last question. For now ;)

What exactly are the differences between these?:
load-program*
include-program*
load*
include*
include*-cd

Only include* seems to be documented, as far as I can tell.
I suspect one of the -program* variety may resolve the REPL issue above,
but I can't quite seem to penetrate the code.

And a suggestion:

It'd be nice if the docs mentioned that if you're using a *BSD, you probably
want to use gtar when creating snowballs.
I was racking my brain for a while on that one.  Using NetBSD's default tar
at least, seems to confuse snowman when it
tries to unpack the snowball saying something about invalid filenames.

More docs for the various loads and includes would be handy as well.  I'd be
willing to document them, if I understood them.

[1] http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/pregexp/pregexp.html