[Lisa_seminaires] [Fwd: RE: Montreal CIS Chapter Seminar: May 20, 2008 at 16:00 at ETS (Auditorium A-1600)]

Yoshua Bengio bengioy at iro.UMontreal.CA
Ven 16 Mai 13:44:50 EDT 2008

-------- Original Message --------

*From:* Cheriet, Mohamed
*Sent:* May 1, 2008 3:32 PM

*_______ **    **MONTREAL IEEE CIS MEETING / SEMINARS
__­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­________________***

* *

*Date:** **Tuesday** Ma**y 20^th ,** 2008***

*Time:** 1**6**h*

*Location:** **Auditorium A-1600, École de technologie supérieure***

*1100-Notre Dame W.  (Corner Peel & Notre-Dame, Metro Bonaventure)*

* ***

*________________________________________________________________**____________________**_______*

* *

* *

*Indexing and Searching Unconstrained Handwritten Documents*

*Prof. **Venu Govindaraju*

*University at Buffalo (SUNY Buffalo)***

*Dear Colleagues*

*On behalf of the ExCom of Montreal IEEE CIS Chapter, I welcome you to
attend the following exciting talk by a renowned researcher in the
field. Please distribute the announcement among your students and
colleagues. ***

* *

*Good News:** more exiting talks follow this year. I encourage you to
attend, make suggestions, in order to make this Chapter a successful
one. Thanks.*

* *

*I am looking forward to seeing you at the seminar.*

*Best wishes,*

*--- Prof. Mohamed Cheriet**, **Eng., Ph.D., SMIEEE*

*Montreal IEEE CIS Chair*

*ABSTRACT***

* *

Recognition of handwritten documents has been a success in
well-constrained domains, such as automatic recognition of handwritten
postal addresses and validating bank check amounts. However,
unconstrained offline handwriting recognition is still a very
challenging task when lexicon size is very large. Thus, the large amount
of handwritten material of the world, historical manuscripts and
contemporary documents, are still inaccessible by search engines. We
will describe our seminal work in real-time handwriting recognition
which paved the way for the first deployment of end-to-end handwritten
address interpretation system. We will also present loosely constrained
applications such as indexing and searching hand-filled forms and
unconstrained handwritten documents. We will conclude with an overview
of our current research in using handwriting for web security.

*Short BIO*

Dr. Venu Govindaraju is a Professor of Computer Science and Engineering
at the University at Buffalo (SUNY Buffalo). He received his B-Tech
(Honors) from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India
in 1986, and his Ph.D. from UB in 1992. Dr. Govindaraju is a Fellow of
the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) and a
Fellow of the IAPR (International Association of Pattern Recognition).

--
Yoshua Bengio