[gambit-list] Benchmark results for dependency graph calculation by gsc (i586, x86-64, and x32)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Sep 9 13:15:36 EDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:55 AM Sven Hartrumpf <hartrumpf at gmx.net> wrote:

> Of course one important drawback is that you are limited to 32 bit
> > references and headers, so only 4G RAM can be accessed (at best) and
> > objects are limited to 16M bytes in size (so forget about reading large
> > files into a string or computing pi to 100 million digits!).
>
> Thanks. I forgot to mention these limitations.

In addition:  x32 exists only on Linux AFAIK and Linus wants to deprecate
it.  No known commercial Linux distro supports it.  The issue of
deprecation was raised last December, and I imagine it will continue to be
raised.

In my last lifetime, I believed in reincarnation;
in this lifetime, I don't.  --Thiagi