[gambit-list] Benchmark results for dependency graph calculation by gsc (i586, x86-64, and x32)

Sven Hartrumpf hartrumpf at gmx.net
Mon Sep 9 10:55:35 EDT 2019

Hi Marc.

Marc wrote, 2019-09-09 10:42:
> That’s interesting and it matches what I have experienced too. Manuel
> Serrano told me about x32 and I think that is what he suggests when
> compiling bigloo. It certainly gives favorable benchmark results!
>
> Would you mind sharing the configure options you have used to build Gambit
> for x32?

A simple way to build Gambit for x32 is adding -mx32 -Wa,-x32 to your C flags, e.g.

./configure CFLAGS="-mx32 -Wa,-x32 ..." --prefix=/usr/local/gambit-x32 --enable-gcc-opts --enable-multiple-versions --enable-single-host

You will need a Linux distribution that supports the x32 ABI.

> Of course one important drawback is that you are limited to 32 bit
> references and headers, so only 4G RAM can be accessed (at best) and
> objects are limited to 16M bytes in size (so forget about reading large
> files into a string or computing pi to 100 million digits!).

Thanks. I forgot to mention these limitations.

Sven