[gambit-list] Compiling Gambit under Termux/Android

Phil Bewig pbewig at gmail.com
Fri May 12 17:09:03 EDT 2017


I got a clang error while compiling _t_univ.c. I will report it to the
clang folks.

This isn't easy.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Phil Bewig <pbewig at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did the following experiment with GnuRoot. I wrote the standard hello.c
> program, then compiled it with gcc. An ls -l shows a.out with permissions
> 660. Then I did chmod +x a.out, and the permissions were unchanged. When I
> tried to run ./a.out, I got a permission denied error.
>
> Ouch!
>
> Then I did the same experiment with Termux. Gcc was smart enough to set
> the execute bit itself, with permissions 700. No need for chmod. Running
> the program produced the proper output.
>
> Hello, world!
>
> I'll try again later to compile Gambit on Termux, and let you know how I
> get along.
>
> Phil
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 08:29:14AM -0500, Phil Bewig wrote:
>> > I had never heard of GnuRoot before this thread, and I was already
>> annoyed
>> > at the non-standard paths in Termux, so I decided to look at GnuRoot.
>> >
>> > I downloaded GnuRoot at lunch yesterday, then discovered I needed
>> GnuRoot
>> > Wheezy as well, then when I ran that it told me those two options were
>> > obsolete and I needed GnuRoot Debian, so I uninstalled the other two and
>> > downloaded that. Looked fine. I then did 'apt-get update' and got an
>> error
>> > message. It turns out that my employer blocks the Debian sites, for some
>> > reason.
>> >
>> > So yesterday evening I did 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'; that
>> > took a while. Then I tried to wget the Gambit tgz file, but discovered
>> > neither wget nor curl is automatic with GnuRoot Debian, so I fetched
>> both.
>> >
>> > Then I downloaded Gambit, untarred, and did './configure'. But configure
>> > wasn't executable, so it didn't work. I said 'chmod 777 configure' but
>> the
>> > execute bit still wasn't set. Searching Google I discovered that error
>> > occurs because the sd card is mounted noexec, but I don't have an
>> sdcard,
>> > so I'm baffled.
>>
>> sdcard is part of android.  In the past it was an actual sd card, but
>> now it is an area of the disk where the user can put files.  Refussal to
>> execute anything there is in order to keep the user from mssing with
>> anything that's really android.
>>
>> You are likely hitting a deliberate android limitation that
>> gnuroot is unable to get around.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gambit-list mailing list
>> Gambit-list at iro.umontreal.ca
>> https://webmail.iro.umontreal.ca/mailman/listinfo/gambit-list
>>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://webmail.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/attachments/20170512/67a1b369/attachment.html 


More information about the Gambit-list mailing list