[gambit-list] Compiling Gambit under Termux/Android

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu May 11 10:56:10 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 08:29:14AM -0500, Phil Bewig wrote:
> I had never heard of GnuRoot before this thread, and I was already annoyed
> at the non-standard paths in Termux, so I decided to look at GnuRoot.
>
> I downloaded GnuRoot at lunch yesterday, then discovered I needed GnuRoot
> Wheezy as well, then when I ran that it told me those two options were
> obsolete and I needed GnuRoot Debian, so I uninstalled the other two and
> downloaded that. Looked fine. I then did 'apt-get update' and got an error
> message. It turns out that my employer blocks the Debian sites, for some
> reason.
>
> So yesterday evening I did 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'; that
> took a while. Then I tried to wget the Gambit tgz file, but discovered
> neither wget nor curl is automatic with GnuRoot Debian, so I fetched both.
>
> Then I downloaded Gambit, untarred, and did './configure'. But configure
> wasn't executable, so it didn't work. I said 'chmod 777 configure' but the
> execute bit still wasn't set. Searching Google I discovered that error
> occurs because the sd card is mounted noexec, but I don't have an sdcard,
> so I'm baffled.

sdcard is part of android.  In the past it was an actual sd card, but
now it is an area of the disk where the user can put files.  Refussal to
execute anything there is in order to keep the user from mssing with
anything that's really android.

You are likely hitting a deliberate android limitation that
gnuroot is unable to get around.

-- hendrik