[gambit-list] Making UTF-8 the default for Gambit

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:40:30 EDT 2017

Is it possible to build Gambit such that UTF-8 is the default for I/O?
Or should it heed the LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL variable?

I had a bug while compiling gerbil code that vyzo traced to
disagreement between I/O options used by gambit and gerbil. The
workaround was to export GAMBOPT=t8,f8,-8 rather than fight to
propagate the proper options to gsc. I would like to build gambit with
these options as the default, so I can distribute a version that works
out of the box.

He wa'n't no common dog, he wa'n't no mongrel; he was a composite.
A composite dog is a dog that is made up of all the valuable qualities
that's in the dog breed — kind of a syndicate; and a mongrel is made up
of all riffraff that's left over.  — Mark Twain