[gambit-list] Gambit version for medical apps?

Adam adam.mlmb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:17:48 EDT 2016

> I guess the best approach would be to create a “v4.7.0-lts” branch in the
> Gambit git repo.

Neat!

Then any fixes to issues that are discovered could be added to that branch
> specifically.  However, nothing that adds functionality would be added to
> an “lts” branch as this might break existing functionality.

Right, only what is essentially a bug fix would fit.

(The "___RESULT()" macro you added recently would be as close to a new
feature as it would go, I guess, as it was actually a form of fix to a very
material problem, if I understood you right.)

As development of the master branch progresses, a newer release of Gambit
> that is stable could be identified and a new “lts” branch could be
> created.  This would happen every 2 years or so, similarly to Ubuntu.

Wonderful!

Similarly, lots of production use of Apache was of version 1.3 *Very* long
after the 2-series came into existence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_HTTP_Server#Development

Apache seem to do it every ~4 - 4.5 years BTW, and rathermore according to
major structural changes in interfaces and the like if I got it right.

Maybe for Gambit around v4.7.0 is a sweet spot as it's right pre-universal
backend and -SMP.

Some time after SMP will come into existence will, I guess, also be such a
point.