[gambit-list] Converting uint32 to scheme object

Alex Silva asandroq at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 06:41:07 EST 2016

Hello list,

I am currently writing some FFI code that interfaces with libtiff to
read tags from TIFF image files. The values of these tags have different
C types and using the right type is needed to avoid memory corruption.

For reading tags with uint16 values the code is straightforward:

```
static ___SCMOBJ uint16_tag(TIFF *tiff, ttag_t tag)
{
  uint16 val;
  int ret = TIFFGetField(tiff, tag, &val);

  return ret == 1 ? ___FIX(val) : ___FAL;
}
```

But, since fixnums have less than 32 bits I cannot use the same code. It
seems the solution would be something similar to:

```
static ___SCMOBJ uint32_tag(TIFF *tiff, ttag_t tag)
{
  uint32 val;

  if(TIFFGetField(tiff, tag, &val) == 1)
  {
    ___SCMOBJ ret;
    ___U32_to_SCMOBJ(___ps, val, &ret, ___RETURN_POS);  <---- ERROR
    return ret;
  }
  else
  {
    return ___FAL;
  }
}

```

except that I don't know how to get hold of the processor state. Can
anybody shed a light here?

Thanks,
-alex
http://unendli.ch/