[gambit-list] Just a silly thought but now with the interlanguage backend, can you run Gambit on the JVM?

Adam adam.mlmb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 12:14:26 EST 2015

> It is already there!
>
> gsc -c -target java foo.scm

Fantastic!!

> Performance however is atrocious… something like two or three orders of
> magnitude slower than with the C backend.  We’re currently looking into the
> issue and our current guess is that the Java JIT compiler is misbehaving.

Interesting - so basically the output JS is running like 5x slower than the
C backend, and the output Java runs 10-100x slower, how can that ever be??

The code output is pretty straightforward isn't it, and the fact that it
works atop the Java objects *should* mean that performance should be on the
*higher end* of the scale as Java-internal optimizations can be applied all
over, no??

The supported target languages are c, js, python, ruby and java.  Currently