[gambit-list] Hard-coded strings in gambit

Adrien Piérard pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat May 10 15:54:31 EDT 2014

Hi Marc,

I am still trying to maintain gambit in FreeBSD, and they have updated
their ports system, ie the way third-party software is built and
installed on the OS. Their new system, called "staging", consists in
compiling and installing the software in place in the ports tree, and
then in moving all the files to the root of the file system.

Roughly, you're in /usr/ports/language/gambit-c, you build and install, getting
/usr/ports/language/gambit-c/stage/usr/bin/gsi
/usr/ports/language/gambit-c/stage/usr/bin/gsc

and finally, FreeBSD moves everything to its right place, eg,

/usr/bin/gsi
/usr/bin/gsc

The problem is that before moving things around, the ports system
checks for the string "/usr/ports/language/gambit-c" and finds a few
in binaries. It then refuses to install (most likely because it would
break the installation).

So, my questions are
- why do we apparently have hard-coded strings?
- what can we do to get rid of them and improve portability of gambit?

If we don't fix this problem by June 31st, gambit will be removed
automatically from FreeBSD's ports.

Cheers,

P!

--