[gambit-list] ./configure --enable-absolute-shared-libs?

Jussi Piitulainen jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi
Sat Feb 22 06:56:21 EST 2014

Either I misunderstood --enable-absolute-shared-libs (quite possible)
or it didn't work. I'd appreciate any help on this, please.

I downloaded gambc-4.6.9.tar.gz (the latest package), compiled and
installed in ~/.local/Gambit-C/ (multiple versions enabled) with
symlinks in ~/.local/{bin,lib/gambc,include/gambc/} on an Ubuntu-based
system.

I expected --enable-absolute-shared-libs to record the location of the
shared libraries in the executables but this didn't happen. I can run
gsi by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH but not without doing that. I verified
with `readelf -d' that the information is not there.

I didn't see any relevant compiler options in the output of `make'
either, so before I investigate this path further: is this something
that --enable-absolute-share-libs is not even meant to do? If so, is
there (was there for 4.6.9) some other support for this?

I didn't bootstrap. It didn't seem required by INSTALL.txt for this.