[gambit-list] Gambit REPL in Native Client

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Feb 4 08:27:01 EST 2014

On Feb 3, 2014, at 6:46 AM, Zhang Meng <wsxiaoys.lh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Marc
>
> It has been quite a long time since the last discussion in Silicon Valley and I finally got some spare time to complete it during the Lunar new year Holiday.
>
> http://mzh.im/gambit-in-nacl/
>
> * HTML5 local storage is mount at /mnt/html5
> * http://mzh.im/gambit-in-nacl/scm/ is mounted at /mnt/http, the pi example is loaded with it.
>
> Enjoy!
> Meng

Happy new year to you!

The Gambit NACL port is very cool!

I did a very quick performance testing using (pi 10000) and, on Chrome, gambit-in-nacl is about 36 times faster than gambit-in-the-browser (http://feeley.github.io/gambit-in-the-browser) which is compiled with emscripten.  On the other hand, the native Gambit interpreter on my machine runs (pi 10000) about 4 times faster than gambit-in-nacl.

Note that these are not definitive figures because these 3 instances of Gambit were not compiled with the same configure options, C compiler, C optimization levels and word width.  I know that gambit-in-nacl was compiled with -O2, and gambit-in-the-browser could not be compiled to use single-host mode and indirect branches (because of an issue with emscripten).

Do you have an idea why compiling with NACL gives a 4x slowdown compared to native compilation?

Also, is there a way for Scheme code to interact with the DOM?