[gambit-list] What's the best practice for maxing debug settings but having no "console" file output - How get proper debug behavior: ./configure --enable-debug , CFLAGS="-g" ./configure , other?

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 03:49:56 EDT 2013

2013/9/17 Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>

> On 2013-09-07, at 10:12 AM, Mikael <mikael.rcv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Marc,
> >
> > What is the best practice for configuring Gambit to maintain maximum
> debug settings switched on but no output of a "console" file?
> >

> > (
> > By maximum debug settings, I mean export of debug symbols, so this could
> be done by CFLAGS="-g" CXXFLAGS="-g" ./configure , and optionally "-o0" or
> "-o1" on that -
> >
> > And.. is there any more debug level functionality in Gambit, for
> instance does --enable-debug switch on any debug functionality beyond -g
> and "console" file output?
> >
> > The console file is not needed as it's of such a lowlevel nature, and it
> easily grows infinitely as in >>100GB.
> >
> > Also, switching off while maintaining --enable-debug requires such large
> amounts of code changes, that I'd presume --enable-debug actually was
> intended first and foremost as an enabler of "console" file output?
> > )
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Mikael
> >

> I'll turn your question back into a question to you... what would be
> appropriate levels of debugging?  What do you need specifically?  I can add
> configure flags and runtime options to control the debugging level.

A debug level that keeps debugging info (symbols etc.) in compiled output
enabled but console file generation disabled would be very useful.

So this would be between the two levels presently available.

If there's any relevant debug levels in between of those three then you
know better than me.

> Marc

Thanks,
Mikael