[gambit-list] Gambit linking

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 16:18:33 EST 2013

2013/11/8 Matthew Hastie <matthastie at gmail.com>

> Marc,
>
> I assume there is 1:1 correspondence between a prospective (preload-module
> foo) and a "x/y/z/foo.scm".
>
> Do you have a plan for how you intend to map the preload-module identifier
> symbols to their corresponding pathed file name strings?

That's what the hook is for - resolving a module identifier to an actual
module, be it linked-in, in a file, module evaled from s-expression, etc.

 I foresee that *preload-module* can provide a syntax that is isomorphic to
> the chez scheme *visit,* and it can thus provide better syntax-case
> integration. With preload-module, sources may be able to specify a
> dependency on compiled syntax across gambit modules, using a syntax that is
> native to gambit.

It is also great to see module loading order removed from the ordering of
> objects on the gsc command-line, which if I'm not mistaken is how it is
> done today.
>
> Does the existing gsc command-line functionality continue to provide an
> implicit module load order in cases where the new syntax is not present?
>
> Is there a reasonable behavior in the absence of *preload-module *syntax,
> or use cases where *preload-module* is partially provided by a subset of
> sources*?*
>
> Do you anticipate modules with symmetric or symmetric transitive
> dependence? In such a use case, I'd presume load order is irrelevant
> providing that linkage is complete, but the issue of ordering top-level
> initialization may remain. This could be problematic for a proposed syntax
> case usage, as it is easy to specify symmetrically dependent compiled
> syntax between two files: if cyclic *preload-module* is not permitted,
> then syntax-case presumably needs a separate syntax to specify syntax
> dependency between files, if symmetrically imported syntax is a warranted
> feature.

I guess this kind of questions will make custom module/macro/etc. system
want to implement dependency handling itself, more or less from scratch?