[gambit-list] Problem with interactive development using remote REPL of iOS Sim.

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 27 10:29:21 EST 2013

On 2013-02-27, at 10:19 AM, Jason Felice <jason.m.felice at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be happy to unblackhole mine if it gets more people involved.
>
> The x86_64 part is because ObjC doesn't provide a completely machine-abstract way to invoke dynamically.  Each way has some icky flaws.  My first goal was actually iOS, but I went down the x86_64 path because Mikael had a need for that first.  I'd like the package to have x86_64/i386/arm.
>
> I did discover that a LOT more machinery is needed for x86_64 than for i386 or arm.  Calling conventions on 64-bit are crazy insane (though I now have the worst of it solved).

I agree that there are issues with all approaches.  If possible I'd like to avoid using assembly language which is compiler and operating system dependent (Objective-C runs on other platforms than iOS and OS X).

I wonder if there are some ideas we can steal from the Python Objective-C bridge:

  http://pythonhosted.org/pyobjc/