[gambit-list] Gambit on github?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Mar 14 12:05:12 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-13, at 5:04 PM, Quan Ta wrote:

> Hello Marc,
>
> I've just did:
>
> git clone git://github.com/feeley/gambit.git
> cd gambit
> ./configure
> make
>
> and get the error:
>
> making all in lib
> ../gsc-comp -:~~bin=../bin,~~lib=../lib,~~include=../include -f -c -check _io.scm
> /bin/sh: ../gsc-comp: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [_io.c] Error 127
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> is there some extra step to build from a fresh git checkout?

Unfortunately, the source code on the repo is not sufficient to build Gambit.  You first need to get the latest Gambit source code distribution:

  http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.6/source/gambc-v4_6_4-devel.tgz

and once that is built, you can "pull" changes from the repo.

The C files which are part of the Gambit runtime system and which are generated by the Gambit Scheme compiler are *not* included in the repo.  The reason for this is that these C files are very big (for example _io.c is 3 MB) and the slightest change in the Scheme source code (or the Gambit compiler) will generate an entirely different C file.  Including these files in the git repo would cause the rapid accumulation of a very large history of changes.  If I remember correctly, git will keep a copy of all previous versions of a file (but even if it was keeping a diff this would be a bad situation because almost all of the generated C file changes).

It would be nice if the git repo could be cloned, followed by a ./configure and make, but I don't see how to do this reasonably.