[gambit-list] Bootstrapping from the Gambit github repo

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 11:19:16 EDT 2012

Den 13 april 2012 03:30 skrev Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>:

>  On 2012-04-12, at 4:53 PM, Mikael wrote:

..

> > If all this exists, you could make a script that would go through all
> versions of the entire git repo and erase all of those .c files in that
> fashion, except for the very most recent version (so cloners always get the
> newest set) and those that belong to very major Gambit versions (like,
> N.N.0:s or so) (so people can always have old Gambit versions readily
> compilable).

..

> But what would be the advantage of this over a plain old .tar.gz which
> contains exactly what is needed to build the system?  These .tar.gz files,
> which I call "releases", are available for all releases of Gambit that were
> made (since 3.0 at least).
>
> The allure of a git repo is that you can easily keep up to date with the
> most recent changes to the repo, and possibly contribute changes to the
> head of the repo.  It is nice also to be able to move back and forth in the
> commit history to determine when bugs were introduced.
>
> Marc

What about purposing the git repo, to be a code repo for all commits ever
made to Gambit, but, to only provide "out of the box" compilability for the
very latest version i.e. the one you get when you git clone the repo['s
main branch]?

For anyone who wants compilable older versions, there's the .tar.bz2 files
archived on Gambit's homepage to download.

What do you say, does it make sense?

(Btw, nowadays, do the .tar.bz:s contain a copy of the git repo files too
as it was at that version?)

Mikael