[gambit-list] Bootstrapping from the Gambit github repo

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Apr 13 21:42:57 EDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 01:46:27AM +0800, Frederick LeMaster wrote:
> This is probably wandering off topic, but git really does store
> snapshots of whole files, not patch lists or stacks of diffs.
> http://learn.github.com/p/intro.html
> http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/
>
> The git gc command and packing will compress stored objects and
> generate deltas and such, but absent that, your files are there byte
> for byte.
> http://metalinguist.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/the-woes-of-git-gc-aggressive-and-how-git-deltas-work/

Apparently it does use deltas of some sort to save on storage -- it's
just a bit clever about how it organises them so you don't end up with
enormously long chains of them.  You're right that these deltas have no
conceptual part of the data base -- that's quite independent.  It's
just a data storage technique. But it's effective enough that you don't
have the complete text of many separate files taking up lots and lots of
disk space, and that's what the original discussion was about, I think.

I don't think they are the usual diff deltas, though, but there's very
little information there about just what it *does* do.

-- hendrik