[gambit-list] Bootstrapping from the Gambit github repo

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Apr 13 12:46:27 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:00:40AM -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:

> On 2012-04-13, at 10:40 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:46:21PM -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:
> >>
> >> I am proposing to include the generated .c files in the repo, but only
> >> commit changes occasionally.  Basically, every time a new release
> >> would be published (i.e. a .tar.gz with a new version number) the new
> >> .c files would be committed to the repository.
> >
> > The .c bloat in the repository would be greatly reduced if gambit's
> > output were to be a continuous function of the input -- that small
> > changes in the gambit source code would usually produce small changes in
> > the .c files.
>
> That is not the case.  Think of the .c file as assembly code with lots of numbered labels for various things (code labels, global variable labels, etc).  Just adding a single code label (because an "if" was added) will renumber many of the remaining code labels.

That's usually the case with generated C code.  It takes a lot of
effort to do otherwise, by making all generated names depend in a
relatively deterministic way on relevant names in the original source
code.

I tried that once.  I never really succeeded, but it did mean that when
I fixed code generation bugs, diffs between old and new output were
somewhat easier to read.

-- hendrik