[gambit-list] REPL behaviour

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Tue Mar 1 14:28:34 EST 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Totally new to Gambit-Scheme (and mostly new to Lisp/Scheme in general).
> I just installed Gambit-C, precisely for learning, and started to try the REPL.
> Here is an example of what I get:
>
> =======================
> spir at d:~$ gsi
> Gambit v4.2.8
>
>> (define var 9)
>> (display var)
> 9>
>

> (define var2 10)
>> (define (double x) (+ x x))
>> (double 3)
> 6
>> (display double)
> #<procedure #2 double>> (define var3 11)
>>
> =======================
>
> 0) No feedback at all for 'define'. (OK)
> 1) New prompt not separated from output of previous command.
> 2) Key-presses of <enter> do not generate new prompt.
>
> Is all of this intended behaviour? Or what do I miss?
>
> Denis

Please forgive me for not answering your question directly.

I usually run my Scheme repls under Quack running on Emacs.  I
think the faculties thus provided do help in designing/writing
code.

   http://www.neilvandyke.org/quack

There are sometime unexpected, to me at least, placements of
stuff printed to the screen, even when running Quack/Emacs.

oo--JS.