[gambit-list] REPL behaviour

Evan Hanson vnhnsn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:35:17 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:20 PM, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

> 0) No feedback at all for 'define'. (OK)
> 1) New prompt not separated from output of previous command.
> 2) Key-presses of <enter> do not generate new prompt.
>
> Is all of this intended behaviour? Or what do I miss?

0) This is normal, yes.
1) (display ...) does not include an implicit newline; you must
explicitly give a newline character or call (newline) for this:

    > (display "something\n")
    something
    > (begin (display "something") (newline))
    something

2) The interpreter does not read until both an expression is present
and your parentheses are balanced. This is to allow multi-line
expressions, e.g.

    > (define (do-thing x)
         (do-thing-one x)
         (do-thing-two x))