[gambit-list] Reacquainting myself

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Jun 4 22:09:52 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:44:57PM -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:

> If you want to parse HTML in Scheme, let me recommend htmlprag (http://www.neilvandyke.org/htmlprag/) which is very portable.

This looks like the right kind of thing.  Thanks.

There's also, I've been advised, the html package for PLT Scheme, which
seems to make extensive use of some kind of inherited object types.
htmlprag looks simpler.

Next I suppose I get to wonder whether all this data structure will fit
in memory.  I have about 8 megabytes of the stuff, and a 1G machine, but
the largest individual file seems about 350K.  Probably OK, unless
gambit is very wasteful of space.  I remember Java was terrible at
storing small strings.  Scheme should be able to do better.

-- hendrik

> If you want to generate a lexer or parser yourself, check out Silex and LALR-SCM (Scheme equivalents of lex and yacc), which were developed at the University of Montreal by Danny Dubé and Dominique Boucher respectively (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~dube/ and http://code.google.com/p/lalr-scm/).

No, that's not what I'm after -- not this time, anyway.