[gambit-list] Reacquainting myself

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jul 21 22:54:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:43:59PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I don't think sed will work for the next conversion I have to do, though,
> which looks like it has complex CSS applied to complicated HTML or XML.
> The CSS is aimed at making things look good in a web browser, with links
> and stuff.  EPUB will probably want it all to be different.  Maybe some
> of these parsers I've been pointed to will still see some real use.

What I suspect I'll want is something like regular expresssions, but
applied to a stream of 'things' instead of characters.  Initially, the
things will be incoming tokens of various kinds (such as HTML tags) but
as the process proceeds, those will be replaced by more complicatted
things, such as XMLisg tree structures.

Ideallly, such a tool should be designed to be more or less independent
of the kinds of things that cound as 'things'.

Of course I could be just as much off the mark with this as I was
thinking I wanted to use Scheme instead of sed for the first conversion.
But I'm pretty sure this time that sed won't do.

But I'm sure that there are other conversin tools around too, such as
calibre.  Baybe I still won't get around to usiing Scheme.  :-(

-- hendrik