[gambit-list] Reacquainting myself

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jul 21 22:43:59 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:09:52PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:44:57PM -0400, Marc Feeley wrote:
> >
> > If you want to parse HTML in Scheme, let me recommend htmlprag (http://www.neilvandyke.org/htmlprag/) which is very portable.
>
> This looks like the right kind of thing.  Thanks.
>
> There's also, I've been advised, the html package for PLT Scheme, which
> seems to make extensive use of some kind of inherited object types.
> htmlprag looks simpler.
>
> Next I suppose I get to wonder whether all this data structure will fit
> in memory.  I have about 8 megabytes of the stuff, and a 1G machine, but
> the largest individual file seems about 350K.  Probably OK, unless
> gambit is very wasteful of space.  I remember Java was terrible at
> storing small strings.  Scheme should be able to do better.
>
> -- hendrik

For the record, I ended up with a sed script, followed by hand-editing
the input to the sed script.  This wasn't what I had in mind at all when
I phrased the original query here, but it worked because the horrible
HTML had a very simple pattern.

I don't think it'll work for the next conversion I have to do, though,
which looks like it has complex CSS applied to complicated HTML or XML.
The CSS is aimed at making things look good in a web browser, with links
and stuff.  EPUB will probably want it all to be different.  Maybe some
of these parsers I've been pointed to will still see some real use.

-- hendrik