[gambit-list] x86 back end

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Jan 28 15:56:38 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:04:55AM -0500, Marc Feeley wrote:

> On 2011-01-27, at 2:42 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> >> The back-end includes an assembler which can output the machine code to a byte vector or a file.  In the tests I have done the code was generated into memory and executed without accessing the filesystem.
> >
> > Great!  That's what I was hoping for.  I've been tinkering with some
> > similar stuff, but without using a nice language to write the code
> > generator in (I used C/C++) and was just realising I needed a better
> > notation for expressing the code generation patterns -- A better
> > notation such as that available in Scheme.  I was trying to be
> > source-language-agnostic.
> >
> > Any chance I could have a look at your code, and possibly repurpose it?
>
> I'm currently doing a major refactoring of the code, so this is a bad
> moment to share the code with you.  Can you wait a few weeks?

This might be the worst possible time to start using or modifying your
code, but an excellent time to start reading it.  Most of my effort
will probably be into figuring out how Scheme has changed since I first
ran into it in Guy Steele's masters thesis.  That was, after all,
another Scheme in Scheme (or something like it) compiler.

-- hendrik