[gambit-list] getting up and running with swank-gambit

Matthew Koichi Grimes mkg at cs.nyu.edu
Tue Feb 8 18:03:32 EST 2011

I got a bit further in trying to get swank-gambit to work, but still not as
far as others on this list.

Previously I hadn't downloaded Sort.scm from

http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/images/3/34/Sort-r1.tgz

I downloaded it and put the Sort.scm file in the same directory as
swank-gambit/. From that directory, I ran:
$ gsi swank-gambit.scm

This doesn't return. I assume this means the swank server is up, running,
and listening.

In a new terminal, I open a simple scheme program in emacs (emacs
hello-world.scm), and type M-x slime-connect ENT ENT ENT. On the third ENT I
get the following question in the minibuffer:

"Versions differ: 2009-09-08 (slime) vs 2010-07-06 (swank). Continue? (y or
n)"

Typing y causes emacs to hang. There's no visible output from either the
terminal from which I ran swank-server.scm, or the terminal from which I ran
emacs.

I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04. Querying gsi's version using "gsi -v" prints:
v4.6.0 20100115040636 i686-pc-linux-gnu "./configure --enable-single-host"

Is it really likely that this version difference between slime and
swank-gambit is the cause of this problem? (I had assumed that SLIME's
interface would be pretty stable.) What SLIME versions have people used
successfully with swank-gambit?

Best,
-- Matt