[gambit-list] slime (swank) and gambit

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Dec 6 13:12:39 EST 2011

On 2011-12-06, at 12:10 AM, Attila Lendvai wrote:

> dear list,
>
> i'm a new hacker on board.

Nice to have you on board!

> i'm planning to use gambit on an embedded
> device.

Cool!

> i have many years of CL experience, but i'm open for anything
> good. i have quite some background with slime and been using it and
> hacking on it for long years, so i'd like to use it with gambit.
>
> i've seen this mail, but noone answered:
> https://mercure.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/2011-August/005262.html
>
> what is the status of swank-gambit?

> who is the current maintainer?

As far as I know, no one is maintaining swank-gambit at the moment. James Long, Julian Scheid, and I have worked on it, but it has suffered some bit rot.

> where is its official repo? i've found two, but neither seems anything
> like 'official', but rather a random repo on github.
>
> https://github.com/jlongster/swank-gambit
> https://github.com/shortsightedsid/swank-gambit
>
> i'm planning to invest time into making it more useful, but i don't
> want to waste efforts on something that has already been done, just
> hidden from my google skills.
>
> any answers/hints are greatly appreciated,

It seems Scheid's repo is the latest code.  But when I tried it with the latest slime I got an error concerning an unsupported coding system.  I looked at the code and it is due to a change in the protocol, so I fixed it up so that at least it gives a prompt after a M-x slime-connect .  The code is attached to this message.

Many of the swank protocol functions are not yet implemented.  So the "user experience" might be a little rough if you are used to a full implementation of SLIME.  Most of the functionality is implementable, but I don't have the time to actually do it (this is mostly because I haven't found a clear description of the swank protocol).  Anyway, if you need help improving swank-gambit I can explain how to implement some of the non-trivial functionality.  If you improve it, please post it on the Gambit Dumping Grounds!