[gambit-list] A couple of random questions

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:01:03 EDT 2011

Hallo,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I wonder why Apple is moving to LLVM gcc.  I've read somewhere that Apple thinks gcc is more buggy than LLVM gcc, and that it generates better code.  At least for compiling Gambit, this seems to be a mistaken belief on both counts.
>
> Marc

Apple departed from GCC mainly for licensing reasons. As GCC 4.2 is
the last version with uses GPLv2, Apple is stuck with that one until
Clang can completely replace GCC. BTW, LLVM-GCC is just a hack (a
compiler that uses the GCC front-end and LLVM back-end) until Clang is
stable enough.

--
-alex
http://www.artisancoder.com/