[gambit-list] A register is not initialized in gvm code?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Nov 22 14:10:46 EST 2010

On 2010-11-19, at 10:20 AM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>
>> It would seem you mean #1, but that already exists (in fact you will find a Scheme to JavaScript compiler on Gambit's dumping grounds).
>
> Yes, I mean #1. I know that such things already exist. I was just suggesting that javascript is a more useful target than php because of all the effort currently going into making javascript run fast and to give it additional, widely available capabilities (i.e., html5). A high quality scheme->javascript compiler could be the ultimate high performance, universal, cross-platform, write-once-run-anywhere scheme implementation.
>
> warmest regards,
>
> Ralph

I checked PHP, which I wasn't very familiar with, and it seems to have a similar syntax (in the sense of "program structure") as JavaScript.  In particular they both have closures and GC, and don't have tail calls.

So if you start writing a back-end, I suggest that you supports both languages.  In fact, you could support other target languages with similar properties (including Python, Ruby, elisp, ...).  It should be easy to abstract the superficial differences between these languages in the "code generator" of the back-end.