[gambit-list] swank-gambit backend for SLIME

REPLeffect repleffect at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:52:44 EST 2010

I am trying to use James' swank implementation on Debian Linux 5.0
(Lenny).  I've been using Gambit 4.4.4 there for a while now with no
problems.  I'm using the Debian-packaged emacs (22.2.1) and the latest
cvs of slime.

I can connect fine to the swank instance and can evaluate valid
symbols fine.  The problem that I have is that when I enter a symbol
that has not been defined, I don't get an error when I press enter.
The prompt simply does not come back, and gsi acts like it is still
trying to complete the read.  With this same setup on my Mac Mini
(same versions of slime and gambit) everything works fine.

Interestingly enough, I had the same problems when using Jame's
modified version of Marc's simple debugging repl.  (I had to make
Marc's suggested modifications to the debugging stuff to get the
sockets to work at all in Linux, but after that that it worked fine,
except for this problem with invalid symbols).  OK, well, it probably
isn't just invalid symbols, the problem seems to occur any time gsi
would normally return an error.

In my testing prior to the SLIME backend, I've had to start up
multiple REPLs in case I ever hit enter after a typo :-D

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening under Linux?  I'd be more
than happy to try out any suggestions to get it to work properly.