[gambit-list] swank-gambit.scm question

REPLeffect repleffect at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:47:25 EST 2010

On 2/11/10, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-02-11, at 2:25 PM, REPLeffect wrote:
>
>> You should probably coordinate with Marc, since you started with his
>> code.  One simple way to do it would be to add a comment to the code
>> similar to what Gambit's docs have:
>>
>> "The Gambit-C system release v4.6.0 is Copyright   1994-2009 by Marc
>> Feeley, all rights reserved. The Gambit-C system release v4.6.0 is
>> licensed under two licenses: the Apache License, Version 2.0, and the
>> GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2.1. You have the option to
>> choose which of these two licenses to abide by. The licenses are
>> copied below."
>>
>> Instead of saying "The licenses are copied below", you could say
>> something like "see the files LICENSE-2.0.txt and LGPL.txt which
>> should have been included with this file for the details of each
>> license." -- those are the two files that are currently included with
>> Gambit that contain the information for each license.
>>
>> Again, I would suggest getting with Marc and getting his approval,
>> since you started with his code, and the two of you can work out the
>> copyright wording.
>
> The copyright should belong to those who have contributed (code) to the
> project.  So I suggest the file start with a copyright statement followed by
> the name of all the contributors.  The copyright and the license are two
> different things.  The license should be the same as for Gambit so that all
> can be packaged together eventually.
>
> Marc

  I guess I shouldn't have tried to shorten my last message.  :-)  I
had originally written out an example that said Copyright 2009-2010
Marc Feeley and James Long, but decided against making the message so
detailed (and because I didn't know for sure if anyone else had
contributed code).  Marc is right, the copyright is a separate issue
-- but they are related, since those who control copyright decide how
the code is licensed.  It would be good to have both of those things
nailed down early on just to avoid any confusion (and to encourage
others to use the code).