[gambit-list] Building Gambit for recent iOS

mikel evins mevins at me.com
Wed Dec 22 06:08:12 EST 2010

On Dec 22, 2010, at 4:48 AM, Mikael wrote:

> AFAIK there's people who have successfully compiled Gambit on both platforms you mention, and documented it quite well in on the ML. I don't know exactly though.

Quite so. I'm one of them.

> When you dug out the answer to your question, would you be interested to publish your results here?
>
> I suppose your question is how to sucessfully do (compile-file) i.e. gcc gambit-made C files, and gsc -exe / link object files to an executable, all this done outside of the xcode programming environment.

No, that's not my question.

My question is why, when I follow the example given in the Gambit manual letter-for-letter, the build fails with a "duplicate symbol" error. Do other people who follow that example exactly on recent versions of Mac OS X with recent versions of Apple dev tools see the same error? If so, then presumably something in a recent Gambit or Apple release has introduced a build problem. If not, then presumably some quirk of my local configuration is causing a link problem.

The only obvious idiosyncrasy of my build environment is that instead of building and installing Gambit in the normal way, I built it from recent Gambit sources using a config script that Marc provided for the purpose of simultaneously building Gambit for three environments: Mac OS X, the iOS Simulator, and iOS devices. Consequently, I have three parallel installs of Gambit, and I must, of course, pass suitable -I and -L flags when building, so that Gambit finds the right files.

None of this makes it obvious to me why following the instructions on page 16 of the manual (while of course adding the appropriate -L to find the right gambit library) would result in a "duplicate symbol" error, but it's certainly possible that I overlooked something.

--me