[gambit-list] Building Gambit for recent iOS

mikel evins mevins at me.com
Wed Dec 22 05:39:38 EST 2010

A little more information, as I attempt to unravel the reasons for build failures with Gambit on Mac OS X and iOS:

I figured I'd eliminate as many variables as possible by reproducing verbatim the examples in the Gambit 4.6.0 manual (pp 14-17).

I created the source files used in the examples (m1.c, m2.scm, m3.scm), and compiled and linked using the example commands from those pages. Building the executable worked just fine (once I added -L/usr/local/gambit/MacOSX/lib so that gsc could find libgambc).

I was not so lucky when I tried the "Building a loadable library" example on page 16:

cairagor:gambit_fun mikel$ gcc -L/usr/local/gambit/MacOSX/lib -bundle m1.o m2.o m3.o foo.o1.o -o foo.o1 -lgambc
ld: duplicate symbol ____G_cons in /usr/local/gambit/MacOSX/lib/libgambc.a(_gambc.o) and foo.o1.o

Perhaps the latest Apple GCC needs additional args? Or perhaps Gambit or its configuration has changed so that additional flags are needed?

--me